Right now you probably do not have many sources of income, yet you find that your needs keep on pilling up. As a student, you have to juggle a lot of things to stay ahead and the situation in Nigeria is not very favourable compared to other countries. The reality is that your needs are only going to continue increasing as time goes on. The cause of conundrum is that your income has to increase to be able to meet your needs. There is some good news, and it is that there are opportunities around you that can provide income and you may not have noticed them at all. The Nigerian labour market can be a very cut-throat place and picking some skills that can bring in funds is very vital to thrive while you ‘re in school and even after school.
Your spare time can be put to good use by setting up a business and you can start getting more done than you ever thought possible. However, it is important to remember to approach this new venture as a side hustle so as not to offset your schoolwork. Start small, make adjustments, see what works and take it from there. These are some businesses you can start while you’re still in school.
- Sell Clothing Items: People are always going to be in the market for clothes, the difference is the frequency. You can start buying clothes that are popular among students to sell for profit. Before you set your prices try to di a bit of research to see how much they are currently spending on these clothing items. Now you need to find a place where you can buy in bulk for a subsidized price, then you make it readily available. Do some promotion online and offline, encourage word of mouth and you’re in business.
- Hair Styling: You are going to need the training to go into this business, but it can be very rewarding. You can offer to style the hair of students around whether male or female. All you need to do is prove that you are capable and you’ll be surprised at the response you get.
- Set up Tutorial Classes: This is another solid way to make money while you’re still in school. You are offer tutoring classes to other students who might be struggling in one area or the other. You just need to find a conducive enough place to hold classes and you’re all set. Extend your services to junior students also and again encourage word of mouth. If people hear about your business from their friends, they are more likely to patronize you
- Blogging: Blogging is another good way to make money while you’re in school. The good thing about blogging is that you can blog about something you already love. Another good thing is that it doesn’t cost much money to start. You can go for the free Blogspot or WordPress blog to start and then move from there. If you need to learn more, there are free online courses you can take.
- Graphic Design: Graphic design is another one that doesn’t need much capital to start. You can take free tutorials on Youtube and with enough practice, you can improve your skills. You also want to be one your toes constantly and on the lookout for the latest techniques and software. This will give you an edge.
- Trainer: There are always people with different levels of fitness goals that could use a trainer. If you are an athletic type this could be a good business for you. You can make videos of yourself training, develop simple routines that people can do, this is good publicity for you.
- Social Media Influencer: If you have a decent following on social media there are small businesses looking to promote their product online and they are willing to pay for it. You can be proactive in looking for businesses that serve people similar to your followers and offer promotion services.
- Snacks & Pastries: Readily available snacks are always appreciated. You can take classes to learn how to prepare these pastries in you are interested in. You can also serve as a conduit for these products. You can get the, from a third party and make them available in your hostel.
- Dropshipping: This is another situation where you deal with a third party. A lot of people are making money from dropshipping now. You just have to take orders and then source for the products online to make them available. Set up a business page for your business and promote it for people to place orders. Sites like Ali Express, Amazon and even eBay offer products that you can sell.
- Compile Past Questions: With so many faculties and department, past questions that are specific to each department and level are probably not available. You just need to find out the courses people are taking in each department at a time and compile past questions on those courses so it is personalised for everyone.
Starting a business is never easy even if it is only a side business. The great thing is that all of these businesses have to potential to be big and you can always re-structure how you offer the product or service. With some well-channelled efforts and good marketing, you can have a very good profit outfit on your hands. So which of these businesses are you starting soon?