If you’re on the lookout for a means to make money online in Nigeria, you should start a blogging business. The best thing about starting a blog is that you don’t need a huge capital or budget to begin. With N50,000, you can start a blogging business.
In simple terms, blogging is the act of writing and posting on a blog. A blog translates to an online journal or some sort of diary. However, blogs are now being used for other means such as online journalism. The emergence of blogs has given entrepreneurs, internet junkies, and everyone a marketing avenue to make a living. Are you interested in starting a blogging business? If yes, here’s everything you need to know.
How to Set Up a Blog
- Pick a name and niche for your blog: The first thing to do is to draft out a niche for the blog. Moreover, in the blogging business, you’ll also need to choose the perfect name for your blog. The name must connect with the niche or theme. You should pick a niche that you’ll enjoy and one that will also give room for audience interaction and discussion. You should also opt for a niche where you can brand yourself as an authority.
- Secure a web host and domain name: One significant aspect of your blog is its domain main or your URL. Your domain name is simply the address of your blog on the web. Do well to opt for a domain name that is unique and brandable. Besides the domain name, you’ll need a web host for your blog. It allows you to opt for a domain name and setting up your blog. A web host makes your blog accessible on the internet and helps you store content.
- Choose a platform: There are several blogging platforms to choose from. From WordPress to Blogger and Wix, Squarespace, and a host of others, there are numerous options to choose from. One of the best in the game remains WordPress. It has a large community of users with functional resources and tools.
- Launch your blog and start posting: If you have no idea on how to create and launch a blog, you can get someone who knows how to. Regardless, it is pretty easy to do so on numerous platforms. Do well to customize your blog to suit the theme you desire. Once, you’ve launched it, you can go ahead to post great and catchy content. Do well to spread the word of your new blog.
Domain Name – $15/year: The cost of registering a new domain name is usually $7-$15. To register with GoDaddy, $9.99 per year will do. While NameCheap charges $10.69 per year. However, after you register a domain name, you have to pay for renewal annually. It is likely the same amount you paid for the domain.
Web Hosting – $10/month: You shouldn’t have to pay over $10 a month for your Web hosting.
You can also spend about $30 for logo design.
Popular and Profitable Blogging Niches
Before opening a blog, the first thing you should consider is a popular and profitable niche. A blog niche refers to the specific topic you’ll be posting about on your blog. To choose a niche, you have to consider: passion, knowledge and profitability. These are the most popular niches for blogging:
- Lifestyle – Under lifestyle, you have health, relationships, life hacks, professional development, fitness, travel, beauty, fashion and many more.
- Art – Here, you have sub-niches like photography, DIY crafts, videography, sewing, design tutorial, and many more.
- News: Business, politics, health, science and tech, celebrity and entertainment news.
- Business and finance: Business ideas and tips, marketing, entrepreneurship, investing, and many more.
- Product reviews
- Sports -Sport news, football, tournaments, basketball, athletics, and so on.
3 Ways to Make Your Blog Profitable
Once your blog is ready, you can begin to make money via affiliate marketing, Google Adsense and sponsored posts and ads.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is simply the process of recommending a product or service to the audience of your blog via special tracking links. Once your audience to purchase the product via your link, you get a referral commission. Many affiliate programs offer text links, banners and other content where you have to copy the link or code and fix it on your website. You can begin to share and start gaining traffic. Popular affiliate marketing platforms are Amazon affiliate, Jumia affiliate, Konga affiliate and that of AliExpress.
- Google AdSense: Google AdSense is an advertising platform run by Google. It is designed for bloggers, web publishers and owners who want to display videos, targeted text, and image advertisements on their website pages or blogs and earn money when visitors click the ads or view videos. All you need do is to create a free AdSense account, copy and paste the code to display the ads. Significantly, revenue is generated per-click or per-impression
- Sponsored post and banner ads: When a blog or website has a significant amount of traffic and influence, companies will for sponsorship. This could be in the form of a sponsored post. Companies can also sponsor your entire blog if you pull huge traffic.